3/23/2016

There's a fly in my house and other kid-isms

'Mummy Mummy' there's a fly in my house and its not being good' said my threenager from his position in the laundry basket.

Said three year old H has positioned himself into the plastic laundry basket, which has also been known as a 'robot helmet' a 'house for teddy' and also apparently belongs to 'Mummy not Daddy.

He clearly sees how things in this house work!

So while H waits for me to 'let the fly out to be in the garden with his lots and lots of friends' it got me thinking about other funny things my boys have come out with.

One day last week O came out with a classic, I had just washed my hair and stray mascara was smudged under my eyes. Water resistant? I think not! Anyway O said to me 'Mummy you have got some moussaka under your eyes' I fell about laughing, how very prep school of my 8 year old to know the word moussaka, he had probably been served it for lunch at school. Doubt he ate any of it...

Over the years the boys, particularly O have come out with some great kid-isms, always at the time I think to myself I must write that down but then inevitably forget. I can remember some words he used when learning to talk, 'too douche' was toothbrush and 'hair park' was car park.

Now he's older he makes a lot more sense, in fact he doesn't stop talking. Last year at school they were studying the circle of life, less Lion King more creatures eating each other but then in their 'reflection' class they had moved onto life and death.

Now bearing in mind I only ususally get out of O about his day at school was what he has or hasn't eaten for lunch or who got stuck on the adventure trail at lunchtime, this particular day I was party to a lot more detailed information about his 'reflection' lesson.

His teacher had, I hope, rather gently enquired if anyone in the class had experienced the loss of someone in their family. O told me he had put up his hand and said, 'my Mummy and Daddy's relationship died' at which point I should probably say that, yes his father and I are divorced. Again inside I fell about laughing but also felt a bit sad. I guess in his then 7 year old mind the relationship had 'passed away' and later on when I thought about it a bit more it's a very grown up way of assessing the situation.

It also opened up my eyes to the way my son has dealt with the divorce (he was 3 at the time) and has made sense of it in his own unique way. I guess out of all of this what I am trying to say is that I think I am bringing up a child who is able to see things for himself, and for that I give myself a pat on the back.

Now back to the threenager who is now eating his lunch positioned in the washing basket, and telling me that I need to close the window as its 'chilly and the fly has driven away'.

'Out of the mouth of babes oft times come gems' so they say.


thumbnailsize

12 comments:

  1. Hey! After reading your blog I've nominated you for the Liebster Award :) You can see here http://dadvworld.com/2016/03/24/the-liebster-award/ .... Keep up the good work :) - However I've not realised you already have had this before! You obviously don't have to respond to the questions but at least you know another person appreciates your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always amazes me what they come out! My threenager tells anyone and everyone about 'how mummy puts her face on in the morning', like I just grab it from the night stand and throw it on (somedays it looks like this!) Great post really enjoyed it, gave me a good giggle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, they are so funny aren't they? the threenager especially! x

      Delete
  3. A relationship dieing is a a nice way to put divorce! I love what kids say and you'll have to remember more so you can get more blog time out of it!! It's great #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I MUST start writing down the things they come out with! x

      Delete
  4. Ah you can't beat a tiny human in a washing up basket! They are the total cutest! Have a lovely Easter and thanks for linking up to #wickedwednesdays. See you next week! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he took the washing basket to bed the other night! #madness

      Delete
  5. Children truly are amazing little creatures (:
    What an ingenious way for your little man to deal with the divorce of his parents! I love to hear the different things that kids say, because it gives us just a glimpse into their busy little minds. I hope you had a wonderful Easter <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hes got a fab view of the world, very refreshing x

      Delete
  6. That does look like the perfect place for lunch. I love how the fly isn't behaving himself lol Kids do come out with the cutest things but they make sense in their own minds. Thanks so much for linking up with us! #bloggerclubuk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the fly soon flew off as soon as it saw my threenager in full flow! x

      Delete
  7. They come out with such funny things don't they! Thanks for linking up to #justanotherlinky xx

    ReplyDelete

DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS