4/06/2016

Yoga and me

I'm sure many mums out there will like me have attempted some form of regular exercise, failed to stick at it and continued to eat cake.

I have jumped around the lounge to a fitness DVD and tried to run regularly but I am not one for working out alone, nor am I a runner thanks to my dodgy knees.

Since January I have been attending a weekly yoga class. I was so nervous the first week having googled yoga and seen some rather scary looking positions and another article about 'yoga ettitque' I know I thought the same thing, wtf?

Anyway, throwing on an old pair of leggings and a tshirt I went for my first class. The instructor is a wonderfully kind lady who made me feel very welcome, shes a calm, soothing tones manner to her, not a shouty gym instructor that I've met in the past. Rather than yelling instructions she calmly explains the positions and gives you that little nudge in the right direction.

It really helps that I am one of the younger ladies that attends the class in the quiet community centre. Not a pumping, noisy gym that really isn't me.

What I hadn't appreciated was the feeling of quiet and peace that yoga helps you maintain for the hour or so you spend in the class. The first few weeks I found it really hard to switch my head off and get into my own calm but I think I am getting there.

The moves can be tricky. In my primary school years I was quite a bendy ballerina, forced into exams by my shouty mother, but it did help my balance and coordination. At 5'9 though I am quite stompy to this day so perhaps it didn't do that much for instilling a delicate quality to my movements.

It does feel good though during a yoga class stretching out my lanky limbs while attempting to tone my apple shaped midriff. Last week she really put us through our paces working our arms and our core. We did a lot of warrior poses and I forget the name of it but something like a slow gradual sit up stretch which absolutely killed the mid section for days after and I'm only regaining full feeling a week on.

'At least you know it's working' said hubby as I fell in the door after last weeks session. Yes thanks for that.

I now have my own mat which reminds me I must stretch it out before I go, last week it spent the full hour trying to curl itself around my head or feet depending on what shape I was throwing at the time.

So my yoga goals for the coming weeks are to perfect my downward facing dog and not feel the pain so much in my calves whilst doing it, crack the shoulder stand without feeling faint and to practice yoga in between classes. I'm being serious, I feel seriously a much chilled and calmer version of myself after a yoga session.

For now I will apologise to the unfortunate lady who finds herself next to me this evening for my mat pinging about the place and if I accidently slap you on the bum while trying not to fall over and do futher damage by crashing into everyone.

God loves a trier, right?






Linking with #Coolmumclub




Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com
Mumzilla

NEWEST POSTS

TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS