5/10/2017

So let's talk about mental health

Yes, you heard me, MENTAL health. A subject that is close to my heart, not because I put it there but because I have been taken to very dark places by my mental health through no choice of my own.

What triggered it? Who knows, I've always been an over thinker, a worrier a 'what if' kind of person. So it didn't take much to tip me over the edge into the realms of depression.

Now I'm in my mid 30's I finally know how to take care of my head. It's a shame it has taken this long. As a child you are taught to take care of your physical health, I was always popping antibiotics for reoccurring ear infections but was never told how important it is to take care of your mental health.

A catalogue of events in my life affected the way I used to think, they way I dealt with difficult situations, what I thought people thought about me. Losing my dad as a teen, breaking down of my first marriage I totally lost control of myself.

Becoming a mother helped me find my way to an extent but didn't banish my lack of ability to cope with difficulties.

Over a year ago I finally sought professional help with the right person who helped me to look at how I took care of myself, how I thought about things and how not to worry what others think. Accepting that awful tragedies do happen in life and for the first time since I lost my dad I didn't spend the weeks approaching the anniversary of his death on a downward spiral to the dark place.

I'm not unhappy and I'm not depressed, I just have to work hard to remind myself that I deserve what I have, life is for living and to negotiate bumps in the road with the use of my toolkit of ways of coping. Nobody said life is easy but it's how you deal with the good and the bad is what sees you through.

So be you, put yourself first and please, please don't be concerned with what other people think or do. You have one life and so live if it for yourself.

image from mentalhealth.org.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGN CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS